Homemade Fancy Oven Potatoes
Potatoes are a treat. Like almost every person I know has a favourite potato recipe. And the recipe has always a twist or a trick that I'd never heard of before: how they cook faster, how they get super crunchy on the outside (kind of the Jamie's way), minutes they need to be pre-coooked, the secret spice, the best fat, the best everything.
Me, I love the hasselback way.
I've been making hasselback potatoes before I even knew they have a name. We were entertaining some new friends we made a few months ago (yeah we still make new friends, not always keepers but there's always something to win if you ask me) and Jane said to me, "Are you making hasselback potatoes?". I had no idea this is what they're called. Hey, I'm not an aspired cook. I just love fresh, fast, and easy food. And I like them potatoes because you need the minimum of effort and you get the maximum of flavour.
- Good quality, organic potatoes
- Extra Virgin olive oil
- Fresh thyme
- Grassfed butter
- Sea salt flakes, black pepper, and sweet paprika powder
- Wash good and dry the potatoes.
- Cut in thin slices till the middle, not right through. Don't go to deep, they will open in the oven.
- Put them on a baking try, don't worry about the space between them. It's actually better if they are tight.
- Drizzle some olive oil and make sure it goes everywhere.
- Add the salt, pepper, paprika, and fresh thyme.
- Add a small piece of butter on top of each potato.
- Bake in a preheated fan or conventional oven at 180°C / 200°C for 50'.
- Serve with lemon drizzle.
If you prefer you can add the butter half-way. It's easier to melt but personally I don't like opening the oven door during cooking. I just want to have the food in and forget about it. Unless the recipe requires so.
They become amazingly crunchy on the outside and velvety soft on the inside. And they look fancy (wink).
Cooking time: 50'
All goodness and no hassle. Enjoy!