Mexican Quinoa (Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Sugar-Free)
This is my favourite slow cooker meal. And the slow cooker is my favourite kitchen toy. My favourite. My next post for you is: Why you need to buy a slow cooker.
This is a recipe we make once a week. Tastes delicious, it's easy to make, and looks happy. Also great for when we have friends over, makes for a beautiful hearty dinner.
Quinoa bowl Mexican style
- 2 cups white dry quinoa
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (fresh tomatoes, even better)
- 2 peppers (yellow and red)
- 1 sweet onion
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- salt, pepper, cumin, chilli
- cheddar cheese (or no cheese for the dairy-free friends)
- tons of avocado (what's going on with the avocado shortage?)
- thinly chopped parsley/mint/coriander (you choose)
- plenty of lime
And here's why I love my slow cooker:
- Put in the slow-cooker the quinoa, diced tomatoes, thinly chopped peppers and onion.
- Add the water, salt, pepper, all the spices.
- Put the lid on and cook for 3h on high temperature (or 6h low).
- Just before the end: add the corn, beans, and cheese, and leave to cook for max 1/2h more on high.
- Prepare the bowls with avo, yoghurt, lime, and parsley.
- The cooking time depends on the type of slow-cooker you have. We have a crock-pot. Check the instructions and adjust times if need to.
- Serve with tortilla wraps if you want the whole Mexican experience.
Don't forget to invite friends over to share the goodness!